Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Oct 31, 2017 11:06AM ● Published by Caitlyn Rosendahl
The season of comfort cooking has arrived! During this weather transition to cooler temps, I like to make dishes that are savory, yet light and easy. I’ve also been trying to cook healthier. Tasty and healthy doesn’t always go together, but this Stuffed Peppers recipe does both! It’s filling, but doesn’t leave you feeling like you’ve overeaten. For me, it hits the spot on a cool fall night. I have a picky eater in my family who does not like peppers, but she enjoyed the filling. Little did she know the filling had peppers in it too. Enjoy it with a warm loaf of crusty bread!
4 bell peppers (red and yellow)
1 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup Arborio rice
8 ounces Italian sausage, casings removed (I use turkey sausage)
2 onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoon fresh basil
1. Working one at a time, cut off top 1/2 inch of bell peppers. Discard stem and seeds. Chop pepper tops into 1/4-inch pieces; reserve pepper cups. Microwave broth and rice in covered large bowl until liquid is absorbed and rice is nearly tender and partially cooked, 13 to 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook sausage in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up meat into small pieces, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to paper towel–lined plate.
3. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet. Add onions and chopped pepper and cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, bring to boil, and remove from heat.
4. Combine 1 cup sauce, sausage, and 1 cup Parmesan with parcooked rice. Transfer remaining sauce to slow cooker. Using skewer, poke 4 holes in bottom of each reserved pepper cup. Fill each pepper with one-quarter of rice mixture and place upright in slow cooker. Top peppers with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Cover and cook on low until peppers and rice are tender, 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
5. Transfer peppers to plate. Stir basil into sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon sauce over peppers. Serve.